Yep, you read that right: there’s a Spotify playlist that can legitimately help you wake up in the mornings.
Spotify hired music psychologist David M. Greenberg from the University of Cambridge to create the playlist, which features 20 songs starting off with Coldplay’s Viva la Vida.
Other songs on the playlist include Avicii’s Wake Me Up and, unsurprisingly, Walking on Sunshine by Katrina & The Waves.
According to Greenberg, each song needed to have these key elements:
- Strong beat: “Songs that emphasize beats 2 and 4 of each measure — usually with the bass and drums — with a BPM of approximately 100-130 will get you moving and further the feel good mood,” said Greenberg.
- Positivity: Since the first thing you hear in the morning can have a big effect on the rest of your day, Greenberg says a positive tune will give your day a positive start.
- Slow start: If the song is too vigorous right from the beginning, it won’t help you get out of bed because it’s “too much, too soon,” says Greenberg.
See below for the full playlist or access it through Spotify here.
- Coldplay – Viva La Vida
- St. Lucia – Elevate
- Macklemore & Ryan Lewis – Downtown
- Bill Withers – Lovely Day
- Avicii – Wake Me Up
- Pentatonix – Can’t Sleep Love
- Demi Lovato – Confident
- Arcade Fire – Wake Up
- Hailee Steinfeld – Love Myself
- Sam Smith – Money On My Mind
- Esperanza Spalding – I Can’t Help It
- John Newman – Come and Get It
- Felix Jaehn – Ain’t Nobody (Loves Me Better)
- Mark Ronson – Feel Right
- Clean Bandit – Rather Be
- Katrina & The Waves – Walking on Sunshine
- Imagine Dragons – On Top of the World
- MisterWives – Reflections
- Carly Rae Jepsen – Warm Blood
- iLoveMemphis – Hit The Quan